- Ph.D., Sociology, University of Washington, 1980
- M.A., Sociology, University of Washington, 1976
- B.S., Sociology, University of California, Riverside, 1973
Research and Teaching Interests
Barry Lee is an urban sociologist and demographer whose research examines spatial manifestations of social organization and inequality. His current work focuses on community ethnoracial diversity, segregation, neighborhood change, involuntary mobility (displacement), local attachment, and the residential circumstances associated with wealth and affluence. He also has a career-long interest in homelessness, exploring geographic dimensions of the phenomenon and variations in health, victimization, and subsistence activities among homeless people.
Professional Awards and Achievements
- Graduate Program Chair Leadership Award, Penn State University (2013)
- Distinction in the Social Sciences Award, Penn State University (2009)
- Sociological Research Association (elected 2003)
- Executive Committee, Eastern Sociological Society (2003-2006)
- Chair, Community and Urban Sociology Section, American Sociological Association (2002-04)
- Advisory Committee of Professional Associations, U.S. Census Bureau (1999-2005)
- Editorial Boards: Demography (Deputy Editor, 2016- ), City & Community (2009-14), Contexts (2003-05), American Sociological Review (1999-2001, 1988-90), Sociological Quarterly (1991-93), Social Science Quarterly (1984-2003)
- Funding: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (2013-16, PI), Russell Sage Foundation (2010-13), National Science Foundation (2005-08, Investigator), Brookings Institution (2002-04), National Science Foundation (1993-99, co-PI), American Sociological Association/MOST (1994-96, PI), National Science Foundation (1987-90, PI), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (1985-86, PI)
- Farrell, Chad R. and Barrett A. Lee. "No-Majority Communities: Racial Diversity and Change at the Local Level." Urban Affairs Review (forthcoming).
- Martin, Michael J.R., Stephen A. Matthews, and Barrett A. Lee. "The Spatial Diffusion of Diversity Across U.S. Counties." Spatial Demography (forthcoming).
- Sharp, Gregory and Barrett A. Lee. "New Faces in Rural Places: Patterns and Sources of Nonmetropolitan Ethnoracial Diversity since 1990." Rural Sociology (forthcoming).
- Fowler, Christopher S., Barrett A. Lee, and Stephen A. Matthews. "The Contributions of Places to Metropolitan Ethnoracial Diversity and Segregation: Decomposing Change Across Space and Time." Demography (forthcoming).
- Hall, Matthew, Laura Tach, and Barrett A. Lee. 2016. "Trajectories of Ethnoracial Diversity in American Communities, 1980-2010." Population and Development Review 42:271-97.
- Lee, Barrett A., Glenn Firebaugh, John Iceland, and Stephen A. Matthews (eds.). 2015. Residential Inequality in American Neighborhoods and Communities. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 660 (July):1-366.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Lauren A. Hughes. 2015. "Bucking the Trend: Is Ethnoracial Diversity Declining in American Communities?" Population Research and Policy Review 34:113-39.
- Lippert, Adam M. and Barrett A. Lee. 2015. "Stress, Coping, and Mental Health Differences Among Homeless People." Sociological Inquiry 85:343-74.
- Lee, Barrett A., John Iceland, and Chad R. Farrell. 2014. "Is Ethnoracial Residential Integration on the Rise? Evidence for Metropolitan and Micropolitan America Since 1980." Pp. 415-56 in John R. Logan (ed.), Diversity and Disparities: America Enters a New Century. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Farrell, Chad R. and Barrett A. Lee. 2011. "Racial Diversity and Change in Metropolitan Neighborhoods." Social Science Research 40:1108-1123.
- Lee, Barrett A., Kimberly A. Tyler, and James D. Wright. 2010. “The New Homelessness Revisited.” Annual Review of Sociology 36:501-521.
- Hall, Matthew S. and Barrett A. Lee. 2010. “How Diverse are U.S. Suburbs?” Urban Studies 47:3-28.
- Lee, Barrett A., Sean F. Reardon, Glenn Firebaugh, Chad R. Farrell, Stephen A. Matthews, and David O’Sullivan. 2008. “Beyond the Census Tract: Patterns and Determinants of Racial Residential Segregation at Multiple Geographic Scales.” American Sociological Review 73:766-791.
- Reardon, Sean F., Stephen A. Matthews, David O’Sullivan, Barrett A. Lee, Glenn Firebaugh, Chad R. Farrell, and Kendra Bischoff. 2008. “The Geographical Scale of Metropolitan Racial Segregation.” Demography 45:489-514.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Meredith J. Greif. 2008. “Homelessness and Hunger.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 49:3-19.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Matthew Marlay. 2007. “The Right Side of the Tracks: Affluent Neighborhoods in the Metropolitan United States.” Social Science Quarterly 88:766-789.
- Lee, Barrett A., Chad R. Farrell, and Bruce G. Link. 2004. “Revisiting the Contact Hypothesis: The Case of Public Exposure to Homelessness.”American Sociological Review 68:40-63.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Chad R. Farrell. 2003. "Buddy, Can You Spare a Dime? Homelessness, Panhandling, and the Public.” Urban Affairs Review 39:299-324.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Karen E. Campbell. 1999. “Neighborhood Networks of Black and White Americans.” Pp. 119-146 in Barry Wellman (ed.),Networks in the Global Village: Life in Contemporary Communities. Boulder, CO: Westview.
- Lee, Barrett A. and Karen E. Campbell. 1997. “Common Ground? Urban Neighborhoods as Survey Respondents See Them.” Social Science Quarterly 78:922-936.
- Lee, Barrett A., R.S. Oropesa, and James C. Kanan. 1994. “Neighborhood Context and Residential Mobility.” Demography 31:249-270.
- Campbell, Karen E. and Barrett A. Lee. 1992. “Sources of Personal Neighbor Networks: Social Integration, Need, or Time?” Social Forces 70:1077-1100.
- Lee, Barrett A., Sue Hinze Jones, and David Lewis. 1990. “Public Beliefs About the Causes of Homelessness.” Social Forces 69:253-265.
- Lee, Barrett A. 1989. “Stability and Change in an Urban Homeless Population.” Demography 26:323-334.
- Lee, Barrett A., Daphne Spain, and Debra J. Umberson. 1985. “Neighborhood Revitalization and Racial Change: The Case of Washington, DC.” Demography 22:581-602.
- Lee, Barrett A., R.S. Oropesa, Barbara J. Metch, and Avery M. Guest. 1984. “Testing the Decline-of-Community Thesis: Neighborhood Organizations in Seattle, 1929 and 1979.” American Journal of Sociology 89:1161-1188.
- Guest, Avery M. Barrett A. Lee, and Lynn Staeheli. 1982. “Changing Locality Identification in the Metropolis: Seattle, 1920-1978.” American Sociological Review 47:543-549.
Urban community, residential segregation, homelessness
- Urban, Community, and Spatial Sociology:
Neighborhood change, racial/ethnic segregation and diversity, urban homelessness, spatial aspects of affluence, community attachment, local social networks
- Social Inequality:
Urban Community, residential segregation, homelessness
- Immigration and Incorporation: