- Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1984, Sociology
- Finke, Roger and Benjamin T. Gurrentz (eds.). 2015. The ARDA’s American Religion Timelines. http://www.thearda.com/timeline/
- Christopher P. Scheitle and Roger Finke. 2012 Places of Faith: A Road Trip Across America’s Religious Landscape. Oxford University Press.
- Grim, Brian J. and Roger Finke. 2011. The Price of Freedom Denied: Religious Persecution and Conflict in the 21st Century. Cambridge University Press.
- Stark, Rodney and Roger Finke. 2000. Acts of Faith: Explaining the Human Side of Religion. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Finke, Roger and Rodney Stark. 1992. The Churching of America, 1776-1990: Winners and Losers in our Religious Economy. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. (Second Edition, 2005).
- Finke, Roger and Robert R. Martin. 2014. “Ensuring Liberties: Understanding State Restrictions on Religious Freedoms.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 53(4): 687-705.
- Finke, Roger. 2013. "Origins and Consequences of Religious Restrictions: A Global Overview." Sociology of Religion 74: 1-17.
- Finke, Roger and Jaime Harris. 2011. “Wars and Rumors of Wars: Explaining Religiously Motivated Violence.” In Religion, Politics, Society and the State, Jonathan Fox, ed., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Finke, Roger and Amy Adamczyk. 2008. “Cross-National Moral Beliefs: The Influence of National Religious Context.” The Sociological Quarterly 49: 617-652.
- Grim, Brian J. and Roger Finke. 2007 "Religious Persecution in Cross-National Context: Clashing Civilizations or Regulated Religious Economies?" American Sociological Review 72: 633-658.
- Finke, Roger, Matt Bahr and Chris Scheitle. 2006 "Toward Explaining Congregational Giving." Social Science Research 35: 620-641. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2005.04.001.
- Finke, Roger and Rodney Stark. 2004. "The Dynamics of Religious Economies." in Michele Dillon (ed.), Handbook of the Sociology of Religion. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Finke, Roger. 2004. "Innovative Returns to Tradition: Using Core Beliefs as the Foundation for Innovative Accommodation." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 43: 19-34.
- Finke, Roger and Kevin Dougherty. 2002. “The Effects of Professional Training: The Social and Religious Capital Acquired in Seminaries.”Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 41: 103-120.
- Wybraniec, John and Roger Finke. 2001. "Religious Regulation and the Courts: The Judiciary's Changing Role in Protecting Minority Religions from Majoritarian Rule." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 40: 427-444. Reprinted in James T. Richardson (ed.). 2003. Regulating Religion: Case Studies from Around the Globe. New York: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Finke, Roger and Rodney Stark. 2001. “The New Holy Clubs: Testing Church-to-Sect Propositions.” Sociology of Religion 62: 175-189.
- Finke, Roger and Patricia Wittberg. 2000. "Organizational Revival from Within: Explaining Revivalism and Reform in the Roman Catholic Church." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 39:154-170.
- Finke, Roger. 1997. "The Consequences of Religious Competition: Supply-side Explanations for Religious Change." in Lawrence A. Young (ed.), Rational Choice Theory and Religion, New York: Routledge Press.
- Finke, Roger. 1997. "The Illusion of Shifting Demand: Supply-Side Interpretations of American Religious History." in Thomas Tweed (ed.),Retelling U.S. Religious History. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Finke, Roger. 1997. "An Orderly Return to Tradition: Explaining Membership Growth in Catholic Religious Orders." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 36: 218-230.
- Iannaccone, Laurence R., Roger Finke, and Rodney Stark. 1997. "Deregulating Religion: Supply-Side Stories of Trends and Change in the Religious Marketplace." Economic Inquiry 35: 350-364.
- Finke, Roger, Avery Guest, and Rodney Stark. 1996. "Mobilizing Religious Markets: Religious Pluralism in the Empire State, 1865." American Sociological Review 61: 203-218.
- Finke, Roger. 1990. "Religious Deregulation: Origins and Consequences." Journal of Church and State 32: 609-626.