Mailroom: 203 Oswald Tower
Research and Teaching Interests
My research interests are in the fields of social inequality, demography, and public opinion and polarization. I have authored dozens of articles and five books on these topics, including Why We Disagree about Inequality: Social Justice vs. Social Order (2023), Race and Ethnicity in America (2017), Portrait of America (2014), Poverty in America (3rd edition in 2013), and Where We Live Now: Immigration and Race in the United States (2009). I have taught classes on Social Problems, Social Demography, Poverty, and Immigration. I also served as Editor of the journal Demography and was elected Vice President of the Population Association of America.
Professional Awards and Achievements
- Vice President-Elect and Vice President, Population Association of America (2017-2018)
- Co-Editor, Demography (2016-2019)
- Raymond Lombra Award for Distinction in the Social Sciences, College of the Liberal Arts, Penn State University (2018)
- Chair-Elect and Chair, Population Section of the American Sociological Association (2015-2017)
- Member National Academy of Sciences Committee to review the Census Bureau’s redesign of the Survey of Income and Program Participation (2014-2016)
- Council Member (Elected), American Sociological Association, Population Section (2011-2013) and Community and Urban Sociology Section (2013-2015)
- Testimony, U.S. House Committee on Ways and Means, Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, Hearing on Measuring Poverty in America (2007)
- Iceland, John, Eric Silver, and Ilana Redstone. 2023. Why We Disagree about Inequality: Social Justice vs. Social Order. Cambridge, UK: Polity.
- Iceland, John, and Arthur Sakamoto. 2022. “The Prevalence of Hardship by Race and Ethnicity in the USA, 1992-2019.” Population Research and Policy Review DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11113-022-09733-3
- Silver, Eric, Kerby Goff, and John Iceland. 2022. “Social Order and Social Justice: Moral Intuitions, Systemic Racism Beliefs, and Americans’ Divergent Attitudes Toward Black Lives Matter and Police.” Criminology 60, 2: 342-369.
- Iceland, John. 2021. “Hardship among Immigrants and the Native-Born in the United States.” Demography 58, 2: 655-684.
- Iceland, John. 2019. “Racial and Ethnic Inequality in Poverty and Affluence, 1959-2015.” Population Research and Policy Review 38, 5: 615-654.
- Iceland, John. 2017. Race and Ethnicity in America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Iceland, John. 2014. A Portrait of America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Iceland, John. 2013. Poverty in America (3rd Edition). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Iceland, John. 2009. Where We Live Now: Immigration and Race in the United States. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.