Professor of Sociology, Criminology, and Demography
Ph.D., University of Minnesota, August, 2004
Criminology, substance use, adolescent and young adult development
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. "Prevention and Methodology Training Program." 6/1/2021-5/31/2026. Assistant Training Director.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. "Effects of Tobacco & ENDS Policies on Patterns of Adolescent ENDS Use." 7/1/2021-6/30/2024. Subcontract Principal Investigator.
- Economic and Social Research Council. “Cross-Cohort Research Programme: Employment, Health, and Well-being.” 7/1/2015-3/31/2018. Co-Investigator.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. “Alcohol Use across the Life Span.” 4/15/2011-4/15/2015. Co-investigator.
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. “Early Work Experiences and the Transition to Adulthood.” 9/13/2007-8/31/2012. Principal Investigator.
- Johann Jacobs Foundation. “The Role of Career Aspirations and Educational Expectations in the Process of Socioeconomic Attainment: Evidence from Two Recent Cohorts of Youth.” 9/01/2007-8/31/2008. Co-Principal Investigator.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. “How Childhood Factors Amplify Risks of Heavy Alcohol Use.” 4/01/2006-3/31/2007. Investigator.
Recent Publications (Since 2013)
- Staff, Jeremy, Brian C. Kelly, Jennifer L. Maggs, and Mike Vuolo. Forthcoming. “Adolescent Electronic Cigarette Use and Tobacco Smoking in the Millennium Cohort Study.” Addiction.
- Bucci, Rebecca, Jeremy Staff, Jennifer L. Maggs, and Lorah D. Dorn. Forthcoming. “Pubertal Timing and Adolescent Alcohol Use: The Mediating Role of Parental and Peer Influences.” Child Development.
- Staff, Jeremy, Brittany Freelin, and Jeylan T. Mortimer. Forthcoming. “Consequences of Adolescent Employment for Young Adult Development.” In Handbook of Adolescent and Young Adult Development, edited by Lisa Crockett, Gustavo Carlo, and John Schulenberg. American Psychological Association.
- Freelin, Brittany and Jeremy Staff. Forthcoming. “Uncertain Adolescent Educational Expectations and College Matriculation in the Wake of the Great Recession.” The Sociological Quarterly.
- Bucci, Rebecca and Jeremy Staff. 2020. “Pubertal Timing and Adolescent Delinquency.” Criminology 58:537-567.
- Staff, Jeremy, Alyssa M. Yetter, Kelsey Cundiff, Nayan Ramirez, Mike Vuolo, and Jeylan T. Mortimer. 2020. “Is Adolescent Employment Still a Risk Factor for High School Dropout?” Journal of Research on Adolescence 30:406-422.
- Staff, Jeremy and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2020. “Parents Allowing Drinking is Associated with Adolescents’ Heavy Alcohol Use." Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 44:188-195.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jennifer Maggs, Christopher Seto, Julia Dillavou, and Mike Vuolo. 2020. “Electronic and Combustible Cigarette Use in Adolescence: Links with Adjustment, Delinquency, and Other Substance Use.” Journal of Adolescent Health 66:39-47.
- Mont’Alvao, Arnaldo, Jeylan T. Mortimer, and Jeremy Staff. 2020. “Work.” In Encyclopedia of Child and Adolescent Development, edited by Stephen Hupp and Jeremy Jewell. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jennifer L. Maggs, Rebecca Bucci, and Jessica Mongilio. 2019. “Changes in Externalizing Behaviors After Children First Have an Alcoholic Drink and First Drink Heavily.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 80:472-479.
- Barbuscia, Anna, Jeremy Staff, George B. Ploubidis, Emla Fitzsimons, Jennifer L. Maggs. 2019. “Light Drinking During Pregnancy: Social Advantages Explain Positive Correlates with Child and Early Adolescent Adjustment.” Addictive Behaviors 98:106003.
- Maggs, Jennifer L, Jeremy Staff, Megan E. Patrick, Laura Wray-Lake. 2019. “Very Early Drinking: Event History Models Predicting Alcohol Use Initiation from Age 4 to 11 Years.” Addictive Behaviors 89:121-127.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jennifer L. Maggs, George B. Ploubidis, and Chris Bonell. 2018. “Risk Factors Associated with Early Smoking Onset in Two Large Birth Cohorts.” Addictive Behaviors 87:283-289.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jeylan Mortimer, and Monica K. Johnson. 2018. “Work Intensity and Academic Success.” Pp. 337-358 in Handbook of the Sociology of Education in the 21st Century, edited by Barbara Schneider. New York: Springer.
- Maggs, Jennifer L. and Jeremy Staff. 2018. “Parents Who Allow Early Adolescents to Drink.” Journal of Adolescent Health 62:245-247.
- Staff, Jeremy, Nayan Ramirez, and Kelsey Cundiff. 2017. “The Vanishing Teenage Worker in the United States.” Pp. 154-176 in Young People’s Development and the Great Recession: Uncertain Transitions and Precarious Futures, edited by Ingrid Schoon and John Bynner. Cambridge University Press.
- Maggs, Jennifer L. and Jeremy Staff. 2017. "No Benefit of Light to Moderate Drinking for Mortality from Coronary Heart Disease when better Comparison Groups and Controls Included." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 78:387-388.
- Staff, Jeremy and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2017. “Alcohol and Cigarette Use from Age 23 to 55: Links with Health and Wellbeing in the Long-Term National Child Development Study.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 78:394-403.
- Johnson, Monica K., Jeremy Staff, Megan Patrick, and John Schulenberg. 2017. “Adolescent Adaptation before, during, and in the Aftermath of the Great Recession in the United States.” International Journal of Psychology 52:9-18.
- Kreager, Derek A., Jeremy Staff, Robin Gauthier, Eva S. Lefkowitz, and Mark E. Feinberg. 2016. “The Double Standard at Sexual Debut: Gender, Sexual Behavior and Early Adolescent Peer Acceptance.” Sex Roles 75:377-392.
- Mortimer, Jeylan T., Minzee Kim, Jeremy Staff, and Mike Vuolo. 2016. “Unemployment, Parental Help, and Self-Efficacy during the Transition to Adulthood.” Work and Occupations 43:434-465.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jennifer L. Maggs, Kelsey Cundiff, and Rebecca J. Evans-Polce. 2016. “Childhood Cigarette and Alcohol Use: Negative Links with Adjustment.” Addictive Behaviors 62:122-128.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca J., Jeremy Staff, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2016. “Alcohol Abstention in Early Adulthood and Premature Mortality: Do Early Life Factors, Social Support, and Health Explain this Association?” Social Science & Medicine 163:71-79.
- Kreager, Derek A., Daniel T. Ragan, Holly Nguyen, and Jeremy Staff. 2016. “When Onset Meets Desistance: Cognitive Transformation and Adolescent Marijuana Experimentation." Journal of Developmental and Life-Course Criminology 2:135–161.
- Vuolo, Mike, Jeylan T. Mortimer, and Jeremy Staff. 2016. "The Value of Educational Degrees in Turbulent Economic Times: Evidence from the Youth Development Study." Social Science Research 57:233-252.
- Johnson, Monica Kirkpatrick, Jeremy Staff, John E. Schulenberg, and Megan E. Patrick. 2016. “Living Healthier and Longer: A Life Course Perspective on Education and Health.” Pp. 369-388 in Handbook of the Life Course: Volume II, edited by Michael Shanahan, Jeylan Mortimer, and Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. New York: Springer.
- Staff, Jeremy, Corey Whichard, Sonja E. Siennick, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2015. “Early Life Risks, Antisocial Tendencies, and Preteen Delinquency.” Criminology 53:677-701.
- Staff, Jeremy, Nayan Ramirez, and Mike Vuolo. 2015. “The Transition to Adulthood Matters.” Pp. 137-146 in Diverging Destinies: Families in an Era of Increasing Inequality, edited by Paul Amato, Alan Booth, Susan McHale, and Jennifer Van Hook. New York: Springer.
- Staff, Jeremy, Arnaldo Mont'Alvao, and Jeylan T. Mortimer. 2015. “Children at Work.” Pp. 345-374 in Handbook of Child Psychology and Developmental Science: Volume 4: Ecological Settings and Processes, edited by Marc Bornstein and Tama Leventhal. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons.
- Maggs, Jennifer L., Jeremy Staff, Deborah D. Kloska, Megan E. Patrick, Patrick M. O’Malley, John E. Schulenberg. 2015. “Predicting Young Adult Degree Attainment by Late Adolescent Marijuana Use.” Journal of Adolescent Health 57:205-11.
- Felson, Richard B. and Jeremy Staff. 2015. “Committing Economic Crime for Drug Money." Crime & Delinquency. First published on June 26, 2015 as doi:10.1177/0011128715591696.
- Maggs, Jennifer L., Jeremy Staff, Megan E. Patrick, Laura Wray-Lake, and John E. Schulenberg. 2015. “Alcohol Use at the Cusp of Adolescence: A Prospective National Birth Cohort Study of Prevalence and Risk Factors." Journal of Adolescent Health 56:639-645.
- Staff, Jeremy, Kaylin Greene, Jennifer L. Maggs, and Ingrid Schoon. 2014. “Family Transitions and Changes in Drinking from Adolescence through Midlife.” Addiction 109: 227-236.
- Siennick, Sonja E., Jeremy Staff, D. Wayne Osgood, John E. Schulenberg, Jerald G. Bachman, and Matthew VanEseltine. 2014. “Partnership Transitions and Antisocial Behavior in Young Adulthood: A Within-Person, Multi-Cohort Analysis.” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 51:735-758.
- Staff, Jeremy, Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson, Megan Patrick, and John Schulenberg. 2014. “The Great Recession and Recent Employment Trends Among Secondary Students in the United States.” Longitudinal and Life Course Studies 5:173-188.
- Siennick, Sonja E., Eric A. Stewart, and Jeremy Staff. 2014. “Explaining the Association between Incarceration and Divorce.” Criminology 52:371-398.
- Vuolo, Mike, Jeylan T. Mortimer, and Jeremy Staff. 2014. “Adolescent Precursors of Pathways from School to Work.” Journal of Research on Adolescence 24:145-162.
- Mortimer, Jeylan T., Mike Vuolo, and Jeremy Staff. 2014. “Agentic Pathways toward Fulfillment in Work.” Pp. 99-126 in Psychological, Educational, and Sociological Perspectives on Success and Well-Being in Career Development, edited by Anita C. Keller, Robin Samuel, Manfred Max Bergman, and Norbert K. Semmer. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
- Bachman, Jerald G., Jeremy Staff, Patrick O'Malley, and Peter Freedman-Doan. 2013. “Adolescent Work Intensity, School Performance, and Substance Use: Links Vary by Race/ethnicity and Socioeconomic Status.” Developmental Psychology 49:2125-2134.
- Vuolo, Mike and Jeremy Staff. 2013. “Parent and Child Cigarette Use: A Longitudinal, Multigenerational Study.” Pediatrics 132:e568-577.
- Staff, Jeremy, John Schulenberg, Jerald Bachman, Michael Parks, and Matthew VanEseltine. 2013. “Identifying Good and Bad Jobs in Adolescence.” Pp. 26-45 in Health and Safety of Young Workers: Proceedings of a U.S. and Canadian Series of Symposia. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Publication No. 2013-144.
- Staff, Jeremy. 2013. Book review of Coming of Age in America: The Transition to Adulthood in the Twenty-first Century. Contemporary Sociology 42:117-118.
- Morgan, Paul, Jeremy Staff, Marianne Hillemeier, George Farkas, and Steve Maczuga. 2013. “Racial and Ethnic Disparities in ADHD Diagnosis from Kindergarten to Eighth Grade.” Pediatrics 132:85-93.
Research Interests by Concentration
CriminologyCriminology, Life Course Studies, Stratification
EducationSchool-to-work transition, delinquency and achievement
Health and Life Coursecriminology, life course studies, and stratification
Quantitative Methodscriminology, life course studies, and stratification
Social Inequalitycriminology, life course studies, and stratification
917 Oswald Tower University Park , PA 16802
Mailroom: 203 Oswald Tower
Mailroom: 203 Oswald Tower